COPYRIGHT © 2008- WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
All original images / photographs in this website are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, transmitted, altered or used in any way without prior written permission from Wayne State University.
MFM FELLOWSHIP FACULTY
ROGER PIQUE-REGI, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor,
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics,
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University School of Medicine
Education and Training
- B.S-M.S. in Telecomunications Engineering, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya,
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Postdoctoral training, University of Chicago, Human Genetics Department (JK Pritchard lab)
- Gene by environment interactions are enriched for association with complex traits. To demonstrate this, high-throughput functional genomic assays were combined with novel computational tools to detect differences in allele specific expression across environments.
- Identification of gene regulatory sequences using functional genomics data. A novel probabilistic framework, CENTIPEDE, was developed to predict tissue-specific regulatory sites for DNA-binding proteins using DNase-seq footprinting.
- Identification of genetic variants that affect transcription factor binding which is a major mechanism by which non-coding variants affect gene expression and affect highly polygenic complex phenotypes. We developed tools to analyze and integrate DNase-QTLs, eQTLs and GWAS.
- Development of machine learning and signal processing methods to analyze genomic datasets. Developed GADA, a method that combines a maximally sparse representation for copy number signal and sparse Bayesian learning (SBL) to reconstruct the signal from noisy observations.
Awards and Recognitions
- "La Caixa" Fellowship for doctoral studies in United States , Fundacio La Caixa
- "Chicago Fellows" postdoctoral scholarship, The University of Chicago
- Young Investigator Award for attending the International Congress of Human Genetics in Montreal , ASHG
- Top Ten Papers in Regulatory and Systems Genomics 2011, ISCB/RECOMB
- Top Ten Papers in Regulatory and Systems Genomics 2012, ISCB/RECOMB
- Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award in the Health Sciences, Wayne State University
- Research Excellence Award, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- R01- GM109215 "Functional Characterization of the Genetic and Environmental Determinants of Complex Traits" NIH-NIGMS (2014 - Present)
- Analysis of functional genomics data (ATAC-seq, RNA-seq) both bulk and at single cell resolution
- Development of computational tools and statistical genetics models
- Molecular mechanisms regulating gene transcription, chromatin accessibility and transcription factor binding
- Genetics of molecular traits, and gene by environment interactions
- Precision medicine for cardiovascular disease, preterm birth and pregnancy complications.
- Pique-Regi R*, Monso-Varona J, Ortega A, Seeger RC, Triche TJ, Asgharzadeh S. Sparse representation and Bayesian detection of genome copy number alterations from microarray data. Bioinformatics. 2008 Feb 1;24(3):309-18. PubMed PMID: 18203770; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2704547.
- Pique-Regi R*, Degner JF, Pai AA, Gaffney DJ, Gilad Y, Pritchard JK. Accurate inference of transcription factor binding from DNA sequence and chromatin accessibility data. Genome Res. 2011 Mar;21(3):447-55. PubMed PMID: 21106904; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3044858.
- Degner JF, Pai AA, Pique-Regi R*, Veyrieras JB, Gaffney DJ, Pickrell JK, De Leon S, Michelini K, Lewellen N, Crawford GE, Stephens M, Gilad Y, Pritchard JK. DNase I sensitivity QTLs are a major determinant of human expression variation. Nature. 2012 Feb 5;482(7385):390-4. PubMed PMID: 22307276; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3501342.
- Wen X, Luca F, Pique-Regi R*. Cross-population joint analysis of eQTLs: fine mapping and functional annotation. PLoS Genet. 2015 Apr 23;11(4):e1005176. PubMed PMID: 25906321; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4408026.
- Moyerbrailean GA, Kalita CA, Harvey CT, Wen X, Luca F, Pique-Regi R*. Which Genetics Variants in DNase-Seq Footprints Are More Likely to Alter Binding?. PLoS Genet. 2016 Feb 22;12(2):e1005875. PubMed PMID: 26901046; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4764260.
- Moyerbrailean GA, Richards AL, Kurtz D, Kalita CA, Davis GO, Harvey CT, Alazizi A, Watza D, Sorokin Y, Hauff N, Zhou X, Wen X, Pique-Regi R*, Luca F. High-throughput allele-specific expression across 250 environmental conditions. Genome Res. 2016 Dec;26(12):1627-1638. PubMed PMID: 27934696; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5131815.
- Kalita CA, Moyerbrailean GA, Brown C, Wen X, Luca F, Pique-Regi R* .QuASAR-MPRA: Accurate allele-specific analysis for massively parallel reporter assays. Bioinformatics. 2017 Sep 22. PubMed PMID: 29028988
- Burl RB, Ramseyer VD, Rondini EA, Pique-Regi R, Lee YH, Granneman JG. Deconstructing Adipogenesis Induced by β3-Adrenergic Receptor Activation with Single-Cell Expression Profiling. Cell Metab. 2018 Aug 7;28(2):300-309.e4. PubMed PMID: 29937373; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6082711.
- Kalita CA, Brown CD, Freiman A, Isherwood J, Wen X, Pique-Regi R*, Luca F. High throughput characterization of genetic effects on DNA:protein binding and gene transcription. Genome Res. 2018 Sep 25;PubMed PMID: 30254052.
(*) Indicates corresponding author.
- MGG 7600 "Advanced Human Genetics"
- MGG 7030 "Functional Genomics & Systems Biology"
- MGG 8680 "Advanced Topics in Molecular Biology and Genetics - Single Cell Genomics"
- MGG 7010 "Molecular Biology and Genetics"
- MGG 8010 "Quantitative Data Analysis for Biological and Medical Sciences"
- MGG 7010 "Molecular Biology and Genetics"