COPYRIGHT © 2008- WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
All original images / photographs in this website are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, transmitted, altered or used in any way without prior written permission from Wayne State University.
MFM FELLOWSHIP FACULTY
EWART MARK HAACKE, Ph.D.
Director and Professor, Department of Radiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Full-Time Status.
Education and Training
- B.S. in Mathematics & Physics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- M.S. in Theoretical Physics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- Ph.D. in High Energy Physics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- My background has been in the study of the brain's vasculature and its role in disease and in the development of methods able to tackle key physiological problems from the MRI perspective. We have developed a number of new approaches to imaging tissue properties and the vasculature of the brain and body. We have used these methods in the study of abnormal vasculature in mild traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis, stroke and vascular dementia as well as to fetal, maternal and placental vascular imaging. Our work in SWI will make it possible to both image small vessels thanks to signal dephasing and to image susceptibility using quantitative susceptibility mapping. We are pioneers in this area of imaging and have published extensively in this field. Further, I was a pioneer in inventing both MR angiography, susceptibility weighted imaging and super-resolution imaging techniques. I have more than 350 papers, an h-index of 90 and more than 35,000 citations of my research.
- Currently we are focusing on imaging the vasculature of the fetus and placenta as well as imaging the tissue properties of the fetus and placenta. Our goal is to study the role of abnormal vasculature in pre-eclampsia and intra-uterine grow restriction. With these new tools we hope to be able to detect these abnormalities early to help monitor the progress of the mother and fetus and in the future to help provide key diagnostic information in treating the patient.
- Yadav BK, Buch S, Krishnamurthy U, Jella P, Hernandez-Andrade E, Trifan A, Yeo L, Hassan SS, Haacke EM, Romero R, Neelavalli J. Quantitative susceptibility mapping in the human fetus to measure blood oxygenation in the superior sagittal sinus. Eur Radiol. 29(4):2017-2026, 2019. PMCID: PMC6420867.
- Krishnamurthy U, Yadav BK, Jella PK, Hernandez-Andrade E, Mody S, Yeo L, Haacke EM, Hassan SS, Romero R. Neelavalli J., Quantitative flow imaging in the human umbilical vessels in-utero using non-gated 2D phase contrast MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging, 2017. PMCID 29274251
- Neelavalli J, Krishnamurthy U, Jella PK, Mody S, Yadav BK, Hendershot K, Hernandez-Andrade E, Yeo L, Cabrera M, Haacke EM, Hassan SS, Romero R. Magnetic resonance angiography of fetal vasculature at 3.0 T. Eur Radiol. 26(12):4570-4576, 2016. PMCID: PMC5102784.