COPYRIGHT © 2008- WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
All original images / photographs in this website are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, transmitted, altered or used in any way without prior written permission from Wayne State University.
DIRECTOR - STEVEN JAMES KORZENIEWSKI, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Director, Perinatal Epidemiology Unit Hutzel Women’s Hospital
Education and Training
- B.A., Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- M.A., Health Communication, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- M.Sc, Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Predoctoral, Perinatal Epidemiology, NICHD T-32 Program, East Lansing, MI
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Awards and Recognitions
- 2012 Recognized Reviewer for 2012, awarded by Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology to the top 15% of Referees who perform nearly half of all reviews received by the Journal.
- 2011 Outstanding Reviewer for the 2011 Academic Year (top 5% of 2,000), awarded by the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology based upon the number of manuscripts reviewed, promptness, thoroughness, and on the quality of reviews as graded by the Editors.
- 2010 COGS Leadership Endowment Honorable Mention Fellowship, awarded for disciplinary leadership in epidemiology by Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. 2010.
- 2008 First Place Oral Presentation, 14th Annual Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology Conference, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA. 2008.
- 2008 Training Award, State Title V Needs Assessment Training awarded by the Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs (AMCHP) and the CDC’s Division of Reproductive Health, and Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB), 2008.
- 2007 Training Award, Trend Analysis for MCH Outcomes in Small and Large Populations awarded by the Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs (AMCHP) and the CDC’s Division of Reproductive Health, and Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB), 2007.
- 2006 Training Award, NICHD-IHDCYH Summer Institute in Reproductive & Perinatal Epidemiology, awarded to leading graduate students involved perinatal epidemiological research by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health, 2006.
- PANETH N, KORZENIEWSKI S, HONG T. The Role of the Intrauterine and Perinatal Environment in Cerebral Palsy. NeoReviews 2005;6:e133-e40.
- PANETH N, HONG T, KORZENIEWSKI S. The descriptive epidemiology of cerebral palsy. Clinics in Perinatology 2006;33:251-+.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, BIRBECK G, DELANO MC, POTCHEN MJ, PANETH N. A systematic review of neuroimaging for cerebral palsy. Journal of Child Neurology 2008;23:216-27.
- TIEDJE L, HOLZMAN CB, DE VOS E, et al. Hostility and anomie: Links to preterm delivery subtypes and ambulatory blood pressure at mid-pregnancy. Social Science & Medicine 2008;66:1310-21.
- BARBOZA GE, SCHIAMBERG LB, OEHMKE J, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, POST LA, HERAUX CG. Individual characteristics and the multiple contexts of adolescent bullying: an ecological perspective. J Youth Adolesc 2009;38:101-21.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ. Neuroimaging for cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2009;51:3-4.
- GRIGORESCU V, KLEYN MJ, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, YOUNG WI, WHITTEN-SHURNEY W. Newborn Screening Follow-Up Within the Lifespan Context: Michigan's Experience. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2010;38:S522-S27.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, GRIGORESCU V, COPELAND G, et al. Methodological Innovations in Data Gathering: Newborn Screening Linkage with Live Births Records, Michigan, 1/2007-3/2008. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2010;14:360-64.
- KLEYN M, KORZENIEWSKI S, GRIGORESCU V, et al. Predictors of Insufficient Sweat Production During Confirmatory Testing for Cystic Fibrosis. Pediatric Pulmonology 2011;46:23-30.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, YOUNG WI, HAWKINS HC, et al. Variation in Immunoreactive Trypsinogen Concentrations Among Michigan Newborns and Implications for Cystic Fibrosis Newborn Screening. Pediatric Pulmonology 2011;46:125-30.
- TARINI BA, CLARK SJ, PILLI S, et al. False-Positive Newborn Screening Result and Future Health Care Use in a State Medicaid Cohort. Pediatrics 2011;128:715-22.
- HERNANDEZ-ANDRADE E, HASSAN SS, AHN H, et al. Evaluation of cervical stiffness during pregnancy using semiquantitative ultrasound elastography. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2012.
- HERNANDEZ-ANDRADE E, ROMERO R, AHN H, et al. Transabdominal evaluation of uterine cervical length during pregnancy fails to identify a substantial number of women with a short cervix. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine 2012.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, GRIGORESCU V, KLEYN M, et al. Performance Metrics After Changes in Screening Protocol for Congenital Hypothyroidism. Pediatrics 2012.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, KLEYN M, YOUNG WI, CHAIWORAPONGSA T, SCHWARTZ AG, ROMERO R. Screening for congenital hypothyroidism in newborns transferred to neonatal intensive care. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2012.
- CHAEMSAITHONG P, CHAIWORAPONGSA T, ROMERO R, et al. Maternal Plasma Soluble TRAIL is Decreased in Preeclampsia. J Matern Fetal Neona 2013.
- CHAEMSAITHONG P, ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. Soluble TRAIL in Normal Pregnancy and Acute Pyelonephritis: a Potential Explanation for the Susceptibility of Pregnant Women to Microbial Products and Infection. J Matern Fetal Neona 2013.
- CHAIWORAPONGSA T, ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. Plasma Concentrations of Angiogenic/Anti-Angiogenic Factors Have Prognostic Value in Women Presenting With Suspected Preeclampsia to the Obstetrical Triage Area: A Prospective Study. J Matern Fetal Neona 2013.
- CHAIWORAPONGSA T, ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. Maternal plasma concentrations of angiogenic/antiangiogenic factors in the third trimester of pregnancy to identify the patient at risk for stillbirth at or near term and severe late preeclampsia. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2013;208:287 e1-87 e15.
- HERNANDEZ-ANDRADE E, HASSAN SS, AHN H, et al. Evaluation of cervical stiffness during pregnancy using semiquantitative ultrasound elastography. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2013;41:152-61.
- HONG JS, ROMERO R, KUSANOVIC JP, et al. "Trophoblast islands of the chorionic connective tissue" (TICCT): a novel placental histologic feature. Placenta 2013;34:360-8.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, GRIGORESCU V, KLEYN M, et al. Transient Hypothyroidism at 3-Year Follow-Up among Cases of Congenital Hypothyroidism Detected by Newborn Screening. The Journal of Pediatrics 2013;162:177-82.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, KLEYN M, YOUNG WI, CHAIWORAPONGSA T, SCHWARTZ AG, ROMERO R. Screening for congenital hypothyroidism in newborns transferred to neonatal intensive care. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2013;98:F310-5.
- KORZENIEWSKI SJ, PINTO-MARTIN JA, WHITAKER AH, et al. Association between transient hypothyroxinaemia of prematurity and adult autism spectrum disorder in a low-birthweight cohort: an exploratory study. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2013;27:182-7.
- LAM-RACHLIN J, ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. Infection and smoking are associated with decreased plasma concentration of the anti-aging protein, alpha-klothoa. J Perinat Med 2013:1-14.
- LEE J, ROMERO R, XU Y, et al. Detection of anti-HLA antibodies in maternal blood in the second trimester to identify patients at risk of antibody-mediated maternal anti-fetal rejection and spontaneous preterm delivery. Am J Reprod Immunol 2013;70:162-75.
- MIRANDA J, ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. The Anti-aging Factor alpha-klotho during Human Pregnancy and its Expression in Pregnancies Complicated by Small for Gestational Age Neonates and/or Preeclampsia. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2013.
- MOVSAS TZ, PINTO-MARTIN JA, WHITAKER AH, et al. Autism spectrum disorder is associated with ventricular enlargement in a low birth weight population. J Pediatr 2013;163:73-8.
- ROMERO R, KADAR NR, MIRANDA J, et al. The diagnostic performance of the Mass Restricted (MR) score in the identification of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity or intra-amniotic inflammation is not superior to amniotic fluid interleukin-6. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2013.
- ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ. Are infants born by elective cesarean delivery without labor at risk for developing immune disorders later in life? American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2013;208:243-6.
- SLAUGHTER J, WEI C, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. High correlations in gene expression between paired umbilical cord blood and neonatal blood of healthy newborns on Guthrie cards. J Matern Fetal Neona 2013.
- STAMPALIJA T, CHAIWORAPONGSA T, ROMERO R, et al. Maternal plasma concentrations of sST2 and angiogenic/anti-angiogenic factors in preeclampsia. J Matern Fetal Neona 2013.
- STAMPALIJA T, ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. Soluble ST2 in the Fetal Inflammatory Response Syndrome: In-vivo Evidence of Activation of the Anti-inflammatory Limb of the Immune Response. J Matern Fetal Neona 2013.
- WHITTEN AE, ROMERO R, KORZENIEWSKI SJ, et al. Evidence of an imbalance of angiogenic/antiangiogenic factors in massive perivillous fibrin deposition (maternal floor infarction): a placental lesion associated with recurrent miscarriage and fetal death. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2013;208:310 e1-10 e11.