COPYRIGHT © 2008- WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
All original images / photographs in this website are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, transmitted, altered or used in any way without prior written permission from Wayne State University.
MFM FELLOWSHIP FACULTY
GERALD L. FELDMAN, M.D., PH.D.
- Professor, Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, and Department of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Director WSU/DMC Combined Maternal-Fetal Medicine/Medical Genetics Fellowship Program
Education and Training
- M.S. – Medical Genetics – Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN (1975-77)
- M.D. – Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA (1980-84)
- Ph.D., Human Genetics - Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA (1977-1981)
- Residency – Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX (1984-87)
- Clinical Genetics Fellowship and Clinical Molecular/Biochemical Fellowship – Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX (1987-90)
- Author of over 75 peer-reviewed articles
- Author of 6 book chapters
- President, American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (2015-17)
- President, Association of Professors of Human and Medical Genetics (2006-08)
- Chair, State of Michigan’s Metabolic Quality Improvement Committee (2009-2016)
- Chair, State of Michigan’s Genetic Advisory Committee (2001-2003)
- Member and Chair, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Residency Review Committee for Medical Genetics and Molecular Genetic Pathology (2003-04)
- Member and Vice-Chair, College of American Pathologist’s Biochemical and Molecular Genetics Subcommittee (2002-03)
- Member, State of Michigan’s Newborn Screening Subcommittee (1994-current)
- Molecular diagnosis of genetic disorders
- Newborn screening diagnosis and management
- Medical genetics residency training and education
- Bowdin S, Gilbert A, Bedoukian E, Carew C, Adam, MP, Belmont J, Bernhardt, B, Biesecker L, Bjornsson, HT, Blitzer M, D’Alessandro L, Deardorff, MA, Demmer, L, Elliott A, Feldman, GL, Glass IA, Herman, G, Hindorff, L, Hisama F, Hudgins L, Innes AM, Jackson, L, Jarvik G, Kim R, Korf B, Ledbetter DH, Li M, Liston, E, Marshall C, Medne L, Meyn MS, Monfared N, Morton C, Mulvihill JJ, Plon SE, Rehm H, Roberts A, Shuman C, Spinner NB, Stavropoulos, DJ, Valverde K, Waggoner DJ, Wilkens A, Cohn RD and Krantz ID. Recommendations for the Integration of Genomics into Medical Practice. Genetics in Medicine 2016 May 12. doi: 10.1038/gim.2016.17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bannick AB, Laufman J, Edwards H, Ventimiglia J and Feldman, GL. Outcomes of Referrals to Child Protective Services in Patients with Phenylketonuria: Experiences at a Single Treatment Center. Molec Genet and Metab 2015 115(4): 151-156. doi: 10. 1016/j.ymgme.2015.06.003. Epub 2015 Jun 16.
- Edwards JG, Feldman, GL, Goldberg J, Gregg AR, Norton ME, Rose NC, Schneider A, Stoll K, Wapner R and Watson MS. Expanded Carrier Screening in Reproductive Medicine – Points to Consider. A joint statement of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, National Society of Genetic Counselors, Perinatal Quality Foundation and Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine. Obstet Gynecol 2015:125-1-11.
- Jay AM, Conway, RL, Feldman, GL, Nahhas F, Spencer L and Wolf, B. Outcomes of individuals with profound and partial biotinidase deficiency ascertained by newborn screening in Michigan over 25 years. Genet Med epub advance publication 2014; doi:10.1038/gim.2014.104.
- Wakeling EN, Nahhas F and Feldman, GL. Extra Alleles in Fragile X Testing: Artifact or Mosaicism? J Molec Diagn 2014.16(6): 689-696.
- Cichon M and Feldman, GL. Opportunities to Improve Recruitment into Medical Genetics Residency Programs: Survey Results of Program Directors and Medical Genetics Residents. Genet Med October 17, 2013 (doi:10.1038/gim.2013.161).
- Medical Genetics
- Advanced Medical Genetics
- Advanced Human Genetics